- Loving, affirming, and respectful atmosphere
- Education that transforms and encourages each child to reach his/her full potential
- Accountability and careful stewardship of community resources
- Results, driven by high quality, systematic approach and academic rigor
- Needs of children drive where resources are allocated
"I have been a volunteer tutor at the Community of Peace ... and being a part of the ESLC program has been extremely fulfilling. With every tutoring session I see a new spark of excitement about reading, whether it's because the child has sounded out a new word or is so excited about the topic of the book that it prompts him to talk about connections with his own experiences. The program is designed and implemented very skillfully, and it would be wonderful to see the program reach a greater number of students."
- One-on-one time with caring adults
- Personalized lessons prepared by licensed educators
- Progress monitoring
- Certified tutors and trained volunteers
- Programming embedded in schools and connected to teachers
- Effective use of resources
Our Program Goals
- Each child reads at grade level before 4th grade
- Each child develops a trusting relationship with a caring adult who provides support to be successful in school and society.
- Each child's family is empowered to support their child’s educational goals.
"To learn to read is to light a fire; every syllable that is spelled out is a spark." -Victor Hugo