Please click here to complete our volunteer application form.
Thanks so much for your interest in supporting East Side Learning Center (ESLC) by volunteering as a tutor. If you have questions, please call Shoua (651) 793-7329 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What do Literacy Mentors do?
East Side Learning Center Literacy Mentors (tutors) partner with the same children for at least one full semester. However, more than 70% work with the same children for the entire school year. Tutoring occurs during and afte school and during summer literacy camps.
Mentors work with 2 or more children in one-on-one "tutoring" sessions for 20 to 30 minutes per child. All materials and detailed literacy mentoring plans are provided. You will read aloud to the child, listen to the children read, and work on specific literacy skills. At all locations, a Site Coordinator is available to answer your questions. ideo training materials and a training manual are provided to each Literacy Mentor. For support materials and videos, visit: www.expercorpsmn.org.
As an ESLC Literacy Mentors, you:
- Must complete a background check.
- Will receive pre-service training and onsite support and coaching.
- Are given a handbook with tutoring guidelines and resources.
- Are assigned a location that best meets your scheduling needs as well as those of partner schools.
- Ideally serve for for 2 or more days per week for 1 or more hours for a full school year. The minimum service length is a semester.
- Are invited to attend monthly development and training opportunities.
AmeriCorps Members needed!
For volunteers who commit to 6 to 10 hours of service/week, an AmeriCorps stipend and education award is available:
- Receive $200/month (pre-tax) from October to May.
- After your service, you will be eligible to receive a $1,289 education credit which you may use yourself or give as a gift to a child or grandchild.
Interested in joining Experience Corps Twin Cities?
Complete a volunteer form and we'll call you to get you started.