Help us bring our East Side Community together
In May, we joined our Minnesota community for #GiveAtHomeMN week, "a celebration of Minnesota's generosity during tough times, a call to give back as we're able to help the organizations that make our state a great place to live, work and play."
At ESLC, we try to bring Love and Learning to everything we do. Here's a few ways you can help us strengthen the ties of our East Side Community in this unique moment. Even though #GiveAtHomeMN week is over, we encourage you to:
1. Offer help or ask for help at our ESLC Mutual Aid Site.
2. Support ESLC as we raise funds to launch online tutoring for our children.
East Side Learning Center had to discontinue tutoring mid-March when schools closed. Our staff and board members have been working remotely to develop a plan for online literacy tutoring when face-to-face tutoring is not possible.
Despite the unusual setback, the children made consistent progress, based on mid-year data:
- 88% of the children who participated in tutoring for at least 15 hours demonstrated positive growth in reading
- 81% of Pre-K and Kindergarten children met benchmarks established for their grade level
- 60% of elementary children met their personal reading goals
Getting left behind
During quarantine, we have not been able to support struggling learners, 80% of whom live in poverty. All of our tutored students face significant obstacles to learning, such as undiagnosed disabilities, language and cultural barriers. All are behind in literacy development. Research indicates that children who are not reading well by third grade are four times more likely to drop out of school, repeat the cycle of poverty or even face incarceration. We want more for our children.
Emerging data suggests that learners are expected to fall even further behind while schools are closed and the personal connection is diminished. Consider, Rahid:
"The connections our tutors build with students make all the difference. I am thinking about one student. To protect his privacy, we will call him Rahid. He struggled with foundational letter sounds and phonics skills. The tutor quickly learned that Rahid had a hard time working with new adults. Rahid would not share anything about himself. As the year progressed, the tutor worked to build a relationship with Rahid by not missing a day and by being consistently supportive. The Literacy Mentor used a combinations of hands-on phonics activities and culturally accessible read-aloud books that interested Rahid. Eventually, Rahid began to trust and work with his Literacy Mentor to become a better reader. The stronger their relationship became, the easier it was for Rahid to learn." - Alyssa Hamel, Site Coordinator
This is precisely the power of meaningful relationships being the key to learning. This is what East Side Learning Center is known to do. Children become confident, they develop social emotional skills all while building foundational literacy skills. Additionally, we are giving our Literacy Mentors, many of whom are senior citizens, a built in connection to the world around them.
Bringing our East Side Community Together
We know many people are struggling. We want to help you and, if you can, we want to provide ways for you to make a difference right now in your neighborhood and for struggling readers.
- ESLC partnered with the AARP Foundation to create the East Side Learning Center Mutual Aid Site. This is a simple form for people who are able to help neighbors in need. If you can help or need help, complete the form. Volunteers and staff will connect you with the appropriate resource. Click here to get to the form.
- Please consider making a financial contribution. The future of our most vulnerable children, who need just a little help to unlock their potential, rests with us! To launch online tutoring, ESLC needs to raise $15,000. However, Otto Bremer Trust will match your donation dollar for dollar! Give between May 1st-May 8th during #GiveAtHomeMN
- Fundraise for us! Click HERE and share your own story about what ESLC means to you!
- Share on Facebook. Watch for our posts, like and share! The more views, the wider the reach, the closer we are to our goal!
Give online by clicking the button above, or mail your gift to:
East Side Learning Center
P.O. Box 6703Saint Paul, 55106-3730
- Volunteer. Sign up to become a Literacy Mentor!
- Double your gift via these Challenge Matches: $20,000 from the Katherine B. Andersen Fund of The Saint Paul Foundation and $15,000 from the Otto Bremer Foundation. Give now to double the impact of your investment. The first requires us to secure new donors and increased amounts from current donors. So consider increasing your commitment this year to help us make this match or ask a friend to give. Then give again in 2019 to be matched by the Otto Bremer Fund.
- Become a monthly supporter, which helps ESLC plan its expenses and build a sustainable program. Pledges count toward both matches.
- Shop on Amazon.com with the Amazon Smile program! Visit Amazon Smile first, log in, search for and designate East Side Learning Center as the recipient of proceeds, and shop away. Remember, you must always start at Amazon Smile to earn money for ESLC with your purchases! You know you're earning income for ESLC if the website address is smile.amazon.com and you see our name under the Amazon product search box.
- Ask your company to match your gift to and/or volunteer time with ESLC. Read more about employee matching grants.
- Designate your gift to The Sister Audrey Children's Reading Fund. If we exceed our budget this fiscal year, your gift to this fund will be set aside for a scholarship endowment for children in need of literacy tutoring.
- ESLC accespts stocks and securities.
- Consider leaving a legacy by naming East Side Learning Center in your will (after you have taken care of your loved ones). Meet John, a legacy donor, and learn why he gives to ESLC.
- Start a fundraiser for children's literacy. Share our message with friends and family. You can raise funds for a holiday, your birthday, or in honor of a loved one using this tool at GiveMn.org. Click the white button "Fundraise" button on our donation page to get started.
Optionally, you can start a fundraiser using your favorit tools, by sending letters or forwarding ESLC's emails to friends and family. Feel free to copy content from our web site and build your own content to raise funds for ESLC.
Your gift makes a difference!
$20 - $44
$45 - $90
$91 - $135
$136 - $180
$181 - $215
$216 - $1k+
Prefer not to donate online?
Checks gratefully accepted to avoid our online processing fees:
East Side Learning Center
740 York Ave.
St. Paul, MN 55106
Thank you for helping us so the ESLC will keep on going because a lot of boys and girls want to learn to read! ~Sarah, Student
The ESLC is a highly effective, well-managed non-profit organization that accomplishes tremendous results on a very lean budget.
~Cara Quinn, Executive Director, Community of Peace Academy
Review East Side Learning Center's annual funders, our annual report and Federal 990 Report.